General Military Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Redhorndog

Difficulty deciding what branch to enlist Empty Difficulty deciding what branch to enlist

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:30 pm
I am planning on joining the military as this is my senior year of high school. What are the pros and cons of each branch? Thanks in advance
Spc. Hadwick

Difficulty deciding what branch to enlist Empty Re: Difficulty deciding what branch to enlist

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:46 pm
1. Army for MOS related work
2. Air Force for good career path
3. Marines for combat
4. Navy for technical things
scee_43

Difficulty deciding what branch to enlist Empty Re: Difficulty deciding what branch to enlist

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:48 pm
Marines or the Army are the only 2 I'd ever join..
Tareeqmo

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:51 pm
Isn't the USAf and Navy the best 2 for technical related jobs and the Marines and army are for boots on the ground?
Steven Sabella
Admin
https://thebattle.forumotion.com

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:29 pm
Army: You'll get a ton of options as far as jobs, the Army houses the most troops by a long shot. You get promoted fast, and the quality of life is pretty good. They have a lot of programs to help with the families when you are deployed somewhere and they have a program called stabilization where you can be stationed at the same base for up to 8 years. Deployments are long, around 15 months. BMT is pretty easy as long as you are ready somewhat. The Army is heavily focused on volume of soldiers and it's teamwork efforts. I personally would have never wanted to join the Army due to lack of pay, and the horrific Army bases throughout the country. Benefits are basic as well as the sign on bonuses. That's my opinion.

Air Force: Good branch if you are wanting to do something technical related such as cyber security, aircraft logistics and maintenance, nuclear engineer etc. This will land you great job opportunities when you get out. Deployments are pretty short, and you have the best quality of life in the Air Force out of all the other branches. BMT for the Air Force is the easiest and shortest basic training as it requires the least amount of physically demanding activities.

Marine Corps: Marines have the hardest basic training out of all the branches, which is 12 weeks long. The quality of life is ok at best, as you are always stationed somewhere, or deployed. Marines deploy a lot and deployments are usually no more than 10 months. Your expectations for physical activity are very high. There are a good amount of jobs in the Corps, most of them revolve around combat, combat support, combat prep, transportation and logistics. There are SOME technical jobs such as mechanics, communications, and intelligence , but most of it is combat related. There are not very many Marine bases in the country, sometimes you maybe stationed at a Naval base, depending on your MOS.

Navy: Tons of jobs, and lots of exposure of the world as the Navy travels everywhere. 6 months is about the longest they deploy for, but it takes getting used to being assigned to shore duty vs assigned to a ship. The Navy is also a very good branch for technical such as submarine electronics, cyber warfare, healthcare and nuclear weapons.. The Navy has the best Healthcare program should you want to be in the medical field. The Navy and Marines usually deploy around each others schedule. Marines can't deploy unless the Navy deploys with them. The Navy's basic training is just above the Air Force's in terms of difficulty, only because it involves being a swimmer.

Redhorndog

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:45 pm
It's hard to figure out lol I sorta want to travel and have some combat experience as well as look good for jobs afterwards
ABUTuxedo

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:53 pm
To build on what Steven Sabella said; I'm AD Security Forces in the AF. In addition to technical, logistical, and maintenance jobs, the AF has the best Law Enforcement program in the military, with more options than any other branch. Also, if you think you can make the cut, the AFSOC has some of the most elite Special Ops the military has to offer
Redhorndog

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:18 pm
Is AFSOC combat related or is it more technical? I know if I wanted to be in healthcare, I'd want to do PJ but that's about all if I was to be in the Af. It's hard lol I want quality of life and to be a badass with some combat related skills as well as technical.
ABUTuxedo

Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:24 am
AFSOC is Air Force Special Operations Command, so it's all combat related. It's your CCT's, SOWT's, PJ's, SERE, and some TACP's. If you want medical, the most elite in the military is a PJ, but that's a 2 year pipeline, and 90%+ washout rate. If you have even the slightest doubt, join the Navy and be a Corpsman.
Redhorndog

Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:00 am
Not sure if I want to be in the medical field. I looked at videos of the PJ school and they said the hardest part was the the Special ops medic course because you have to cram all the information and medical procedures in your head. I sorta want to have experience in combat a little more. I'd love to apply for BUDS but I just don't think I could do it. It looks insaaaaaane.
Steven Sabella
Admin
https://thebattle.forumotion.com

Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:09 pm
Don't enlist just because you want to be in Special Operations. Most of the schools have a 80-90% washout rate, depending on the batch of candidates. As for combat related jobs make sure you know for a fact it's what you want to get into, it's not like Call of Duty or a video game in general. You don't re spawn. Also don't classify anything as badass until you have actually completed it. Now if you want to see some combat then go Marine infantry 0311. You will surely see combat and lots of it. If you want to do infantry but spend more time on base in the country then join the Army infantry 11B which some of their infantry units deploy more than others. Depends on what you want since you mentioned quality of life. Marines in not a good branch for that whatsoever. If you want to go into a selection school then you can do that in the Army. You can sign an 11X contract and get into ranger school, complete that then go into Ranger RIP indoc to get into the regiment. That's strictly if you want to be in combat only. Just don't plan on joining just to be in Special Operations as the likelihood of you passing is very slim, but it is possible. That's why in the Marines you have to have spent 2 years as well as a 110 GT score before you can apply for Marsoc A&S, because they know you have matured some, so that you won't think it's a walk in the park. All this is to help you, and I will tell you like it is because it's quite difficult.
Redhorndog

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:36 am
Note taken! I talked with the USMC recruiters yesterday and they were cool about everything and that I need to prepare myself for recruit training asap. I was looking at the radio reconnaissance Mos and it is combat related?
ChrisPonder45

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:47 am
Radio Recon is exactly what is says. You may find yourself rolling out with infantry guys but most of the time you are on your own with all your equipment inside trucks.
ChrisPonder45

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:52 am
I'd go Marine corps if you are wanting good combat exposure and training. The training schedules never stop!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum